Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Average day......or not

Nothing exciting to write about today. Just another average day. But then I think to myself.......just two years ago, even one year ago, this would not have been average in the least. As I sit here in a big shared office/room, at an abandoned college campus, in the middle of a thousand hills in Appelsbosch, South Africa, I think back.

Just one year ago, I was at home in Clinton, North Carolina working at SRMC, and getting ready to come back to the ship. Had recently gotten back from a FUN and wonderful road trip with some of the best friends anybody could ask for. Had just told Mercy Ships that I wanted to change to long-term status (2 years), and still not knowing how I was going to be able to afford it. And was trying to figure out what I would need to take to survive for 2 years.

Two years ago I was extremely nervous as I was preparing to come to the ship for the first time. Had just gotten my first passport. Got lots of immunizations for diseases I had never heard of before. Was worried about leaving for 14 weeks and not being there to help care for my grandfather, not knowing he would pass away before I returned.

But, now here I am, writing policies and procedures for a variety of nurses to read and follow for years to come, listening to the hoarse rooster crowing every few minutes, looking out the window at a beautiful view of the Kwazulu Natal mountains, and realize how exciting and adventurous God's plan for my life is. More than anything I have ever been able to dream up. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment